Sunday, February 14, 2010

Hold Your Applause!

[Update 3/30: All books have been shipped out, either 1st class mail (in the US) or international air mail. I still have a few copies left, so if you really really want one, please donate appropriate sum via PayPal to natasha dot same last name as me at gmail.com and we will mail you a copy.]

[Update 3/12: There have been some delays with the printing, and now the books are going to ship from the printer to me next Friday, March 19. They will arrive some time during the following week, and I will get them out to people as quickly as I can. Once again, thank you for your patience.]

[Update 3/7: The books are due from the printer in another week, and there is a big pile of addressed envelopes waiting for them, with first-class postage applied and customs forms filled out. Once the books are finally here, it should take me another week or so for me to sign them all and carry them down to the post office. Thank you for your patience.]

[Update 2/26: the cover thumbnail is now shown as it is printed, not the placeholder that was there up until now.]

Two years and just under a million unique visitors later it is time for this blog to ask for something back. But instead of an endless beg-a-thon, I've decided to give my readers something valuable in return for their donations: anyone who donates in excess of $20 will receive a numbered, autographed copy of a limited edition book which contains five of the most significant (and longest) essays I have published between 2005 and 2009. The meaning of the title should be obvious: since 2005 I have been predicting that the USA will go the way of the USSR, and although many of my detailed predictions of how collapse will unfold have already been reported in the press as facts, and any number of knowledgeable people will tell you that the collapse scenario is a perfectly plausible one, as of this writing the actual, sudden, unmistakable collapse hasn't occurred yet, so don't clap just yet. Nobody can tell you with any certainty exactly when this will occur, or how much longer the various web sites on which my articles have been published will stay up, but obtaining a copy of this book (which I had designed, typeset and printed at my own expense) will put in your hands an odd sort of history book: one written before the historical events it describes take place. Donating to this blog is the only way you can obtain this book, because it is strictly a promotional item and is not designed to be offered for sale. I will send out copies of this limited edition on a first-come-first-serve basis, while supplies last. Please click on the "Donate" button and donate any amount you want, provided it's above $20, to reserve your copy. Please add a little extra for international shipping if you are outside US.  Thank you!

22 comments:

Anonymous Lover said...

Thanks! A fantastic way to generate revenue for Club Orlov. All the kids in my neighborhood will be jealous.

bluebird said...

Thanks! Looking forward to receiving this historical collection of your essays.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to receiving my copy!

Nudge said...

Hoping to be the first in my town to get one of these books :)

Unknown said...

Dmitry--I think I'm your latest fan. I really enjoy your thoughts and your tone. I'm a climate activist in Boston, the co-founder of the JP Green House (a zero carbon demonstration home in Jamaica Plain). I lived in the Czech Republic throughout the nineties and so know something about the Eastern-bloc collapse.I thought you might enjoy this sermon I wrote last week, gave at my church, and then posted to my blog on Grist.org -- it mentions your work: http://www.grist.org/article/how-to-talk-to-your-friends-about-climate-change

Best wishes--I'll be reading.

Andree Zaleska
greenhousejp@gmail.com
JPGreenHouse.org

Unknown said...

Hope you've got plenty of books! Also hoping donation receipts are tax free to Club Orlov.

Wendy said...

Thank you for the offer. I very much enjoyed Reinventing Collapse.

I'm looking forward to receiving my copy of Hold Your Applause.

ANNA TULCHINSKY said...

Fantastic blog! I really enjoy reading it. Dmitry is an unrecognized - not for long - literary talent. Looking forward to my copy the Applause.

Unknown said...

Looking forward to spreading the word of ClubOrlov in Canada. Donation of 30 CAD is on its way to you, hope that's enough to cover it, let me know if not.

the artist known as spacious critter said...

Dmitry, Thanks so much for your "shameless self-promotion" email! In your case, I am stoked at the chance for your signed limited edition (and I'd love sailing passage to Club Orlov in the event of a sudden collapse ;)

Thanks for your humor and inspiration. I know Naomi Klein has done much research to corroborate your experience in her book, "Shock Doctrine." It was riveting and really hard to stomach the psychology behind the forces for bringing on collapse. Though your experience of what she wrote about is first hand, your voice is also one that speaks of survival, with strength and with humor!

I look forward to receiving my copy of "Hold ..." And fair winds to getting your next book done!

Camila

ATL said...

just wondering how long you will have this offer? can i make the donation next week and still reserve the copy?

Podunk Paul said...

The Volkswagen Beetle was the sort of product that Company A might make. These cars, designed in the early 30s, remained in production until 2002 at Puebla, Mexico.

The cars underwent almost constant development with the final examples featuring electronic fuel injection and disk brakes. Owners of older vehicles could upgrade them with the latest parts. There was no concept of planned obsolescence.

In great part because of the long development period, VWs are reliable vehicles, economical on fuel, and relatively simple to repair. Millions remain in service in Latin America. Replacement parts, many of them manufactured locally, are inexpensive and readily available.

Richard K. said...

Elevate this man to marketing sainthood! Glad to donate to the cause.

I’m going to try this for my next cookbook Mastering the Cannibal’s Art of Fine Cooking. Over 400 pages devoted to the true enjoyment of your neighbors while saving money too!

Great luck with your next book, Dmitry

Patrick said...

Dmitry, I really look forward to seeing the book. I believe I may have been one of the first to order one, over two weeks ago. Unfortunately, it hasn't arrived yet. Maybe the order fell through the "digital cracks?" Thanks, Patrick

Dmitry Orlov said...

Patrick -

Since this is a special edition, all the books are printed, autographed and shipped as a single batch, which hasn't happened yet. I post updates to this blog post as things progress.

-Dmitry

Ричард said...

Dmitry, I don't see a donate button anymore. Am I too late to place an order/donation?

ATL said...

I received the book! It looks great and the limited edition numbering is nice. I look forward to reading the essays. Thanks D.

DanT said...

Thanks for the book - #7/500 is my next read.

Unknown said...

Are there any copies of the book left?

Dmitry Orlov said...

Yes, there are a few left. If you want one, please follow same instructions as before.

Curt said...

Do you happen to have any copies of your book left?

Dmitry Orlov said...

Yes, Curt, I am still sending them out, once in a while, one at a time.